Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Overcoming the Natural Man




For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.
The Book of Mormon


Since my son’s death, this has been the scripture that has continually gone through my mind.  I always thought that this scripture was talking about not sinning and that sort of thing.  But since that awful day, I have come to realize that this scripture is talking about so much more.
When your child dies you think of all the things he will miss out and in turn you will miss out on.  Because of some very sacred things that happened the week of Carsen’s death, I know that he is happy, and all is well with him.  Me on the other hand, not so much. 
Sunday night we attended an Eagle Court of Honor for one of his friends (our families are good friends).  I knew it would be hard but didn’t realize how hard it would be and how that affect me.  In only the style of the young man that was honored, it was short.  We left right after the amen.  We bolted is a better way to put it.  I cried the whole 5-minute drive home and the crying continued and off for over 24 hours.  I felt cheated.  I would never see my son receive that honor.  He was just starting the paper work for his project.  I was mad and so many more emotions.  The next day I could only wear my contacts for about 4 hours (and that was pushing it) due to how dry my eyes were.  Who knew they could get so dry with so much moisture coming from them.  Now please understand that I am so proud of the young man who received his Eagle.  He worked hard and earned that honor.  And he is amazing young man.  But my mama heart broke all over again and it started an avalanche of all the things I am going to miss out on.  Once again, this scripture came to mind.  I am looking at this with my earthly natural eyes.  Not from an eternal perspective.  If I looked at it with eternal eyes, then I would see all the things I won’t miss out on and what really is important.  An Eagle rank is important, but he is earning a different Eagle rank.  A mission is important, but his mission is just different (I will post about that tantum another time).  School dances are important, but they really aren’t be all, end all things we make them out to be.  Soccer (or whatever sport you love) is important, but he is just playing in a different way.  And I do believe he is with his teammates a lot of the time.  They weren’t just friends, they had a brotherhood and support each other.  So many things that I feel cheated on I have to change my perspective and realize I have not been cheated.  It will not happen over night and I am pretty sure will take the rest of my life to change.  But for now, I must be content with the fact that Carsen is happy and is doing amazing things on the other side of the veil.  But that doesn’t change the fact that I just need to cry.  Two songs that sum up this week were songs people sent me.  And both are truly profound and spot on.   


No comments:

Live Traffic Feed